RECIPE: Chocolate Peppermint Thumbprint Cookies
COLATE PEPPERMINT THUMBPRINT COOKIES
A thumbprint cookie is a must-have for every holiday cookie gift box. These combine peppermint, chocolate and candy canes to make the perfect cookie for gift-giving.
Prep Time: 25 minutes Bake Time: 12 minutes Makes: 22 cookies
1½ bars (150g) Lindt Excellence 70% Cocoa Dark Chocolate, divided
2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1/8 tsp salt
½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
½ cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 tsp peppermint extract
11 Peppermint Lindor chocolates, sliced in half along the seam
2 tbsp finely crushed candy canes, about 2 candy canes
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Break one bar of chocolate into pieces. Melt in a heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water, stirring often. Alternatively, melt chocolate in microwave on 30 second blasts. Set aside to cool slightly.
3. Combine flour, cocoa powder and salt in a bowl. Whisk to combine.
4. Beat together butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer or a large bowl using a hand blender, about 30 seconds. Scrape down sides of bowl with a silicone spatula. Add egg and peppermint extract. Beat to combine. Scrape in melted chocolate and mix. Tip in flour mixture and mix on low speed until just combined.
5. Scoop out heaped tbsp sized balls of dough and roll into a ball. Place on prepared baking sheets about 2-inches apart. Using a tsp measuring spoon, press down firmly on top of each ball to leave an indent.
6. Bake, on top and bottom third racks of oven, rotating sheets halfway through baking, about 10-12 minutes.
7. Re-indent cookies with tsp measure as soon as cookies come out of the oven. Let cool completely.
8. Melt remaining ½ bar chocolate. Place melted chocolate in a zip top bag. Cut off a small corner of the bag. Drizzle chocolate over cookies. Place half a Peppermint Lindor, round side up, in the indent of each cookie. Sprinkle with crushed candy cane. Place in fridge to set chocolate, 5 minutes. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.