RECIPE: Mini Chocolate Gingerbread Loaf
MINI CHOCOLATE GINGERBREAD LOAVES
These mini loaves combine chocolate and spices to make a gingerbread inspired loaf. This can also be made into one large loaf. Simply use a 9x5-inch loaf pan and bake for 1 hour.
Prep Time: 30 minutes Bake Time: 35 minutes Makes: 4 mini loaves
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
¼ cup cocoa powder
1 tbsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp allspice
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
¾ cup vegetable, canola or olive oil
¾ cup granulated sugar
½ cup molasses
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
¾ cup plain 2.5% yogurt
1 bar (100g) Lindt Excellence 70% chocolate, finely chopped, divided
¾ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 ½ cups icing sugar
10 Lindor Milk Chocolates, sliced in half along the seam
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease four 5.75x3-inch mini loaf pans. Line pan with one strip of parchment paper, leaving overhanging sides (this will make it easy to lift the loaf out of the pan).
2. Combine flour, cocoa powder, ground ginger, cinnamon, allspice, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Whisk well to combine.
3. Combine oil, sugar, molasses, eggs, vanilla and yogurt in a separate bowl. Mix well to combine. Add in flour mixture and mix until just combined. Mix in half of the chopped chocolate. Divide batter between prepared pans. If you only have two pans, keep the batter at room temperature and bake remaining batter when other loaves are finished baking.
4. Bake in centre of oven until a cake tester inserted in the centre of each loaf comes out clean or with a few crumbs, about 35 minutes. Cool in pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Run a knife along edges of loaves, then turn out onto rack. Remove parchment paper. Let cool.
5. Make the icing while the loaves cool. Melt remaining chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water, stirring often. Alternatively, melt chocolate in microwave on 30 second blasts. Set aside to cool slightly.
6. Beat together butter and icing sugar on low speed until mixed together, about 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium-high and beat until mixture is light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Scrape in melted chocolate. Mix well to combine. Divide icing between tops of loaves. Top each loaf with 5 Lindor halves. Add sprinkles to top of loaves, if you wish.